A man cleaning vents in a Brownstown steel factory Monday night suffered burns to his right hand, face and neck after a fire ignited.
Indiana Steel and Tube employee Mikeal Wilberding, 33, of Norman told Brownstown Police Cpl. Joe Kelly that he was on a scissor lift cleaning some type of exhaust vent when he blew some aluminum powder onto hot oil.
That caused a fire, and the building at 848 W. Sweet St. was full of smoke, Kelly said.
Wilberding was treated by Jackson County Emergency Medical Services and taken to Schneck Medical Center in Seymour before being transferred to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.
Brownstown Volunteer Fire Department, which responded to the scene at 8:06 p.m., was assisted by Driftwood Township Volunteer Fire Department.