Important crop insurance deadline nears for Indiana producers

Agricultural producers planning to seek federal crop insurance must have their highly erodible land conservation and wetland conservation certification form on file with their local USDA service center by June 1.

Many farmers have their certification form, commonly called form AD-1026, already on file — meeting conservation compliance provisions — since it’s required for participation in other programs, including Natural Resources Conservation Service conservation programs.

Producers such as specialty crop growers who receive federal crop insurance premium subsidies and do not participate in other USDA programs must now file a certification form with USDA’s Farm Service Agency.

Producers may visit their local USDA service center before deadline for information about conservation compliance procedures. Producers that file their form by the deadline will be eligible for federal crop insurance premium subsidies during the 2016 reinsurance year, which begins July 1.

The June 1 deadline does not apply to producers seeking benefits from Farm Service Agency and Natural Resources Conservation Service programs.

Information on conservation compliance is available at, including a Five Steps to Meet Conservation Compliance guide and answers to frequently asked questions. To locate a USDA Service Center near you, visit