A natural gas service line rupture Friday forced Brownstown police to briefly evacuate several homes on both sides of the 200 block of East Spring Street.
The rupture, caused by a man digging with a backhoe near a house, was reported at about 4:30 p.m. Friday.
The Brownstown Public Library at 120 E. Spring St. closed because of the leak.
Crews with Midwest Natural Gas in Scottsburg shut off service to the customers on the northside of town to repairs could be made. Repair work began at about 5:45 p.m. Friday.