COLUMBIA, Mo. — Authorities say a man and a woman have died in a fire at a central Missouri apartment complex.

Boone County Fire Protection District Assistant Chief Gale Blomenkamp says crews were dispatched around 5:30 a.m. Thursday to blaze at the complex north of Columbia. He says the Missouri State Fire Marshal believes the fire originated from a candle on a TV stand in a lower-level apartment.

Fire crews found the victims’ bodies in a bathroom in an apartment directly above that unit.

The fire was brought under control in less than 30 minutes. The fire damaged six apartment units, causing at least $250,000 in damages.

No one else was hurt.


Information from: Columbia Daily Tribune, http://www.columbiatribune.com

VIAThe Associated Press
SHARE
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.