BISMARCK, N.D. — After more than a year of preparation, work on the new North Dakota governor’s mansion is underway.
North Dakota Facility Management Director John Boyle told The Bismarck Tribune (http://bit.ly/2dqSv5u ) that fencing and a trailer for the site were brought in Tuesday. Equipment is scheduled to arrive Thursday for groundwork to commence on the $5 million home.
“They should have the site cleared in about 30 days,” Boyle said. “We’re very excited.”
Last year, the state Legislature authorized $4 million for the project. An additional $1 million was raised from private donations to construct the 13,600 square-foot residence.
Work had originally been scheduled to start in August, but the project took new bids after the estimated cost rose above the $4.1 million construction budget.
According to Boyle, some items from the current residence, such as the current entrance doors, will be recycled and used in the new home. Furniture, a pool table, a grand piano, state china, and silverware will also be moved to the new residence upon its completion.
Boyle said the project is on schedule to move the governor into his new home by November 2017.
Information from: Bismarck Tribune, http://www.bismarcktribune.com