ROANOKE, W.Va. — Students in Nicholas and Kanawha counties who were displaced by June’s devastating floods will be moved from makeshift classrooms to long-term temporary modular units by the start of 2017, officials said.

West Virginia School Building Authority Director of School Planning and Construction Scott Raines told the authority’s board last week that the bidding process is about to start and the portable units should be ready by Jan. 1, the Register-Herald of Beckley reported ( ).

For now, Summersville Middle School students have been attending classes sectioned off by tall curtains inside the Summersville Arena and Conference Center, where sounds echo.

Other schools that will be moving into portables include Richwood Middle School, Herbert Hoover Elementary School and Clendenin Elementary School.

FEMA is expected to cover at least 75 percent of the cost of new school construction for flood-damaged schools.

Once flood-displaced students are relocated to permanent facilities, State Superintendent of Schools Michael Martirano said the state hopes to own several of the modular units to be deployed in the event of a fire, flood or other disaster. The June 23 floods left 23 people dead statewide.

“I want to inform our state how vulnerable we are when an event such as this occurs,” Martirano said. “We don’t have a stockpile, in any county, of available buildings that are holding facilities, readily available to move children into.”

Information from: The Register-Herald,