LONG BEACH, Calif. — Long Beach police say a man previously described as a person of interest in the shooting deaths of a mother and her 4-year-old daughter is now the main suspect.

Officials said Thursday that the suspect was linked to the August crime scene by surveillance camera video and they are asking the public’s help in identifying him.

A $40,000 reward has been offered to catch the killer of 26-year-old Carina Mancera and her daughter, Jennabel Anaya.

The mother, daughter and the girl’s father had been grocery shopping and were walking home Aug. 6 when a man walked up and opened fire.

It happened less than a half-block from the family’s apartment. The girl’s father told investigators he did not recognize the man.

Police say they have no motive for the attack.

VIAThe Associated Press
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.