LOS ANGELES — The Latest on the trial of a lawsuit accusing NBA star Derrick Rose and two others of gang-raping a woman (all times local):
Los Angeles police say a detective’s death won’t impede a rape investigation of NBA player Derrick Rose.
The Los Angeles Police Department said Wednesday that Nadine Hernandez was one of several detectives investigating the allegations.
Police say the 44-year-old died from a gunshot wound to the chest in a suspected suicide.
The LAPD says there’s no indication the death was related to any cases Hernandez was investigating.
A woman who sued Rose and his friends is seeking $21.5 million in an ongoing civil trial. She claims the three raped her while she was incapacitated three years ago.
Defense lawyers say Hernandez told them there was no rape case. The woman’s lawyers say Hernandez told them a crime had been committed and she was preparing to present the case to prosecutors.
A judge has refused to declare a mistrial or dismiss the rape lawsuit against NBA star Derrick Rose and two of his friends.
Los Angeles U.S. District Court Judge Michael W. Fitzgerald made the ruling Wednesday after Rose’s lawyers argued that the accuser’s legal team withheld three text messages helpful to their case.
Fitzgerald says the accuser’s legal team had failed in their obligation to share material with the defense.
But the judge says the lapse doesn’t rise to the level requiring dismissal of the case or mistrial.
He says he will instruct jurors that the texts were disclosed recently and allow defense lawyers to question the accuser about the messages.
The woman’s lawyers say the texts were shared with the defense, but they couldn’t prove that.