House sustains extensive damage after fire reported; no injuries

Firefighters from four departments responded to a house fire Tuesday morning in the Vallonia area.

No one was injured in the fire at the home of Richard and Doris Shoemaker in the 3800 block of South State Road 235. The Shoemakers were not home at the time the fire was reported at 7:43 a.m.

Capt. Steve Mowdy with the Driftwood Township Volunteer Fire Department said investigators believe the fire started in the ceiling and was electrical because it involved the home’s heated ceiling system.

Mowdy said the roof of the one-story home sustained heavy damage, and there was extensive water damage.

Firefighters from Brownstown and Carr townships in Jackson County and Monroe Township in Washington County assisted at the scene. Jackson County Emergency Medical Services personnel also were on standby at the scene.

Mowdy said firefighters were on the scene for about two hours and were not bothered too much by temperatures, which were around 10 degrees at the time.

Mowdy said firefighters hauling water in tankers had to drive to Vallonia to get water because many of the water lines in the southern part of the township are small and require 35 to 40 minutes to fill. The fire hydrants in town can fill a tanker in about 20 minutes, he said.