TUSTIN, Calif. — The Latest on a man who was shot by police in Southern California (all times local):

1:45 p.m.

A man shot by police in Southern California has died and a friend says he was an Army veteran who struggled with post-traumatic stress.

Twenty-four-year-old Edwin Fuentes died Tuesday night in Tustin.

A report of a suicidal man sent officers to an area of Main Street in the Los Angeles suburb where they found a man with a handgun sitting in a car.

Lt. Bob Wright tells the Orange County Register (http://bit.ly/2rg78ho ) that officers spent about two hours trying to get the man to surrender but opened fire after he fired shots from the car.

A friend, Ashley Cannon, tells the Register that Fuentes had been struggling since he returned from Afghanistan in 2013. She says he leaves a wife and young son.


10:21 a.m.

Officials say a man is in hospital after being shot by California police.

The Orange County Register reports (http://bit.ly/2qx2bOC ) Tustin police shot the man Tuesday following a two-hour standoff. Tustin police Lt. Bob Wright says the officers had been responding to a report of a suicidal man at an apartment complex.

Wright says the man had a handgun which he used to fire at the officers. Police do not know how many times the man was shot.

The man’s condition is unknown. The officers involved were not harmed.

According to Wright, no officer was placed on administrative leave or desk duty.

The Orange County District Attorney’s Office will investigate the shooting.


Information from: The Orange County Register, http://www.ocregister.com


Information from: The Orange County Register, http://www.ocregister.com