IMPERIAL BEACH, Calif. — A San Diego County woman came home to find her dog shaking his head and pacing wildly. She soon learned he had somehow ingested methamphetamine.

KGTV-TV (http://bit.ly/2rtw2av ) reports Wednesday that Janelle Wooster took her 1-year-old Golden Retriever mix named Rivers to a vet, who said the dog was high on meth and would have died had she not brought it in.

Wooster says her backyard backs up to an alley where people are known to drink and use drugs. She says it’s likely someone tossed the meth into her yard to get rid of it.

Rivers is expected to survive but may not fully recover.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.