WEST HURLEY, N.Y. — Fire officials say a smoky house fire that killed an 89-year-old woman apparently started when a bird’s nest was ignited by a hot light fixture.

The fire was reported by a neighbor at 1:30 Thursday morning in the Ulster County town of West Hurley. Fire Chief Dave Gutierrez says firefighters brought the fire under control quickly and found Anna Olsen in her second-floor bedroom overcome by smoke.

Efforts to revive her were unsuccessful. Olsen was pronounced dead at a Kingston medical campus.

Gutierrez says heat from a halogen light on the garage apparently ignited an adjacent bird’s nest. Flames melted the siding on the house and charred the garage.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.