DAMASCUS, Md. — Authorities says a vape pipe blamed for a house fire north of the nation’s capital may have sparked a flame because a dog got hold of it.

WTTG-TV (http://bit.ly/2sWhkcM ) quotes Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service spokesman Pete Piringer as saying the dog may have been playing with the device, causing its battery to ignite.

The TV station reports the owner of the town house in Damascus, Maryland, was away on a motorcycle ride. He said he found his house filled with smoke and his carpet and couch on fire when he returned. Firefighters rescued three dogs, one of whom had to be given oxygen for smoke inhalation.

Montgomery County firefighters say the battery is being examined at a lab to determine exactly how it caught fire.


Information from: WTTG-TV, http://www.myfoxdc.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.