GOMA, Congo — Congo’s army says at least five people have been killed in fighting with an armed militia in the eastern South Kivu province since last week.

Capt. Dieudonne Kasereka, army spokesman in South Kivu, said Monday that Mai Mai rebels have taken over four localities in Fizi territory. Fighting since Thursday has killed four rebels and one soldier.

Canadian company Banro Mining Corp. said Monday a convoy of 23 trucks belonging to contractors for the Namoya mine were trapped in the crossfire in Lulimba, which is controlled by rebels.

Fizi civil society leader Josue Lwanusha said the militia is holding 18 Tanzanian and three Ugandan drivers.

Banro said the army is securing the Namoya mine. Rebels in March kidnapped five workers there, though all have since been released.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.