PEMBROKE, N.H. — A man igniting a sparkler in New Hampshire has accidentally set fire to fireworks he had in his SUV, causing them to explode and sending him and his family scrambling for safety.

The Pembroke Fire Department says when it responded Sunday fireworks were exploding from inside the vehicle. Firefighters say they extinguished the fire without incident.

A fire department investigation shows the owner was behind the vehicle with the hatch open when he lit a sparkler. It says sparks from the sparkler ignited the fireworks, which had just been bought at a store in Hooksett.

The owner got himself and his family away from the vehicle until the fire department arrived.

The fire department says the best way to see fireworks is to watch a professional show.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.