SCARBOROUGH, Maine — Fire officials in Maine say improperly discarded fireworks caused a house fire.

The Portland Press Herald reports (http://bit.ly/2trJzkz ) the house fire started early Wednesday morning after a neighborhood firework show in Scarborough. Fire Chief Michael Thurlow say a bin containing firework remnants stored in a plastic bag caught fire next to a home.

Fire crews responded to the fire around 2:30 a.m. and were able to contain the blaze.

No injuries were reported.

Thurlow says many manufacturers recommend consumers soak fireworks in water before disposing of them.


Information from: Portland Press Herald, http://www.pressherald.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.