TULSA, Okla. — Two Oklahoma men who were exonerated after spending 20 years in prison are suing the city of Tulsa and two former detectives.
Malcolm Scott and De’Marchoe Carpenter were freed from prison last year after a judge found them “actually innocent” based on new evidence in the 1994 shooting death of 19-year-old Karen Summers, the Tulsa World (http://bit.ly/2v8eKkh) reported. The evidence included statements from three men who said they were responsible for the shooting.
“It is their sincere wish that not one other innocent person is ever again forced to endure prolonged imprisonment, indignity, pain and humiliation for a crime he/she did not commit,” the lawsuit states.
A spokeswoman for the city didn’t immediately respond to the newspaper’s request for comment.
The federal lawsuit argues the men’s rights to a fair trial were violated by the failure of investigators to conduct basic forensic testing of physical evidence. The suit also alleges investigators disregarded evidence that suggested another man, Michael Wilson, was the shooter.
Wilson was charged as an accessory in Summers’ death, but in interview on Jan. 7, 2014, he said he fired the fatal shots. He also said Scott and Carpenter weren’t involved. Wilson was executed two days later for another killing.
The suit also alleges that two retired Tulsa police detectives fabricated evidence by coercing false testimonies from witnesses and co-defendants. The suit seeks damages in excess of $75,000.
Information from: Tulsa World, http://www.tulsaworld.com