FORT SALONGA, N.Y. — Police say a Long Island man’s fingers were amputated after fireworks exploded in his hands.

Newsday reports (http://nwsdy.li/2vbVP8h) a 35-year-old Fort Salonga man sustained severe injuries to both hands after lighting fireworks at his home Tuesday afternoon. The man was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital where he underwent surgery.

No further information was available.

The incident comes just days after a 39-year-old Uniondale man lost several fingers and sustained serious burns in a fireworks accident in Uniondale. Police say that man was taken to a hospital in serious but stable condition.


Information from: Newsday, http://www.newsday.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.