HIGHLAND VILLAGE, Texas — A man and a woman were airlifted to a Dallas hospital’s burn unit after they were severely burned by a flaming cocktail at a suburban Dallas tavern.

A city statement says emergency units were dispatched to the tavern in Highland Village about 4 p.m. after flaming alcohol shattered a liquor bottle and splashed all over the couple. Tavern employees quickly suffocated the flames.

The couple was burned over the upper half of their bodies, but officials say the burns didn’t appear to be life-threatening.

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.