Hayden Historical Museum made the switch to winter hours after the Labor Day weekend.
The museum will be open from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Mondays and from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays. Visits can be arranged by calling 812-592-8445 or emailing email@example.com.
The museum, at 6715 W. County Road 20S in Jennings County, features a research library and exhibit area with several different displays to highlight the heritage of the town and Spencer Township.
Some of the attractions include a display of parlor music instruments and an almost complete collection of Life magazines that were donated by Lester and Barbara Tracy.
The monument to Hayden native and former Indiana Gov. Edgar D. Whitcomb, who passed away in 2016, is located in the side yard of his homeplace. The marker highlights Whitcomb’s life and career as a veteran of World War II, a politician and a man who sailed solo around the world.
The museum’s largest exhibit is the old Sinclair gas station. First built along U.S. 50 in 1926, this building was moved to the museum property in 2001. Volunteers used an old photograph to restore the station to the way it looked in 1947.
The newest attraction for the museum is the building that was opened in 2015. To find out what home entertainment was before electricity, step in A Place Called Yesterday to see and hear the various musical instruments and devices that require no electricity or battery power. This building also contains the Life magazine display.
Winter hours will remain in effect until after Memorial Day 2018.
Information about the museum may be found on Facebook or at seidata.com/~haydenmu.