KOCHVILLE TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Saginaw Valley State University says four students have suffered skin reactions after coming in contact with a toxic disinfectant in a chemistry lab.

University spokesman Justin Engel says at first one student went to a hospital with symptoms after exposure to phenol, but three other students later began suffering similar symptoms with a skin irritation on their wrists and forearms. They also were transported to a hospital after being quarantined with five other students and a professor who did not experience adverse reactions.

Engel tells WJRT-TV that everyone in the lab in the Herbert Dow Dean Science Building was wearing standard safety equipment, including gloves and goggles, when the chemical exposure occurred.


Information from: WJRT-TV, http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.