CRANSTON, R.I. — Rhode Island school officials say no trace of carbon monoxide has been found at Cranston High School East, which was closed Friday after 50 students and staff reported feeling sick.

The Providence Journal reports that a letter sent to parents Friday. It says an industrial hygienist found no evidence of CO, confirming earlier findings of the Cranston Fire Department. Firefighters had inspected the school Thursday morning but did not detect a leak.

The school is scheduled to reopen Monday as usual.

Ray Votto, school district chief operating officer, said the school was closed Friday out of an abundance of caution after students and staff experienced dizziness and nausea.

Votto says a student was hospitalized Wednesday with symptoms that pointed to possible carbon monoxide exposure.


Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.providencejournal.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.