PORTLAND, Maine — A man freed after serving 27 years for the 1989 murder of a teenager says he struck a deal and walked away from a post-conviction review hearing because he couldn’t bear the thought of going back to prison if he lost.
Forty-five-year-old Anthony Sanborn tells the Portland Press Herald he wanted his ordeal in the court system to end.
Lawyers reached a deal Wednesday designed to keep Sanborn out of prison following new evidence from a key witness, who recanted testimony that she saw Sanborn stab 16-year-old Jessica Briggs. Sanborn’s conviction stands; he had been sentenced to 70 years for the killing of Briggs, his one-time girlfriend.
Sanborn, who maintained his innocence, said while he had hoped to clear his name and wipe the murder conviction from his record, he’s at peace with his decision.
Information from: Portland Press Herald, http://www.pressherald.com