FARGO, N.D. — Fire officials are crediting a sprinkler system at a Fargo shopping mall with preventing a fire from spreading and causing major damage.

The Fargo Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the Macy’s department store in West Acres about 2:45 a.m. Sunday. When firefighters arrived they discovered a sprinkler head had activated and extinguished the fire that had started in the management offices.

Authorities determined the fire was caused by an overheated electrical device. The fire spread to nearby office furniture before it was extinguished by the sprinkler system.

KFGO radio reports a damage estimate was not available.


Information from: KFGO-AM, http://www.kfgo.com

Author photo
The AP is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, as a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members, it can maintain its single-minded focus on newsgathering and its commitment to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism.