Notre Dame confirms player no longer in program



University of Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly confirmed on Tuesday that freshman quarterback Gunner Kiel, the former Columbus East High School star, no longer is part of his program.

At a news conference to discuss his team and spring football, Kelly said he worked on Kiel’s release last Friday “in terms of compliance.”

“I think we’ve got a 10-day window to get that taken care of,” Kelly said. “We tried to get that all accomplished last week.”

Kelly was asked if Kiel, who didn’t play as a true freshman last season, will have any restrictions on where he might go.

This story appears in the print edition of The Tribune. Subscribers can read the entire story online by signing in here or in our e-Edition by clicking here.

All content copyright ©2014 The Tribune, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.