UPDATE AT 9:48 a.m.
The snowfall has started to increase throughout the 10-county area served by the Indiana State Police Versailles Post and all roads continue to remain snow-covered, slick and hazardous, police report.
Troopers along with county and local law enforcement have responded to slide offs and minor crashes all morning.
Travel conditions are expected to worsen as the snow continues to fall throughout the day and into the overnight with expected increase in wind speeds, Sgt. Noel Houze said.
As of 7 a.m., all roads were open, but the Ripley County Sheriff’s Department is investigating an overturned truck on Interstate 74 eastbound about 2 miles east of Batesville. The interstate is open at that location but motorists should use caution and be prepared to stop or make a lane change when wrecker crews begin to remove the vehicle.
Police urge motirists to keep these tips in mind:
• Do not call city, county or state police to check on road conditions – police agencies across the state want to keep phone lines open for emergency phone calls
• For up-to-date weather information the best source is your favorite TV or radio station or check the National Weather Service at http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ind/
• Visit www.TrafficWise.IN.gov or dial toll-free 1-800-261-ROAD (7623) for updated Indiana travel information, including road conditions, road closures, construction information, crashes and other traffic alerts
• If you must drive during any period of the storm a fully charged and functioning cell phone is your best friend
• If involved in a crash and no one is injured and the involved vehicles are still drivable, move to a safe area to exchange names, vehicle and license plate information, along with driver license number and insurance agent name and phone number with the other driver
• During severe weather conditions law enforcement will be busy responding to emergency calls and will not be able to take reports of crashes where there is only damage to property
• Vehicles left abandoned along interstate and state road right-of-ways are subject to immediate removal during inclement weather events.
All content copyright ©2015 The Tribune, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.