The stately, neoclassical limestone building at Third and Chestnut streets in downtown Seymour has served several important roles in the city’s history.
Built in 1916, it opened to the public as a federal post office and 50 years later was purchased and remodeled to become Seymour City Hall. It housed the city police department in more recent years.
But for more than six years now, it has sat empty. A good portion of selective demolition and cleanup work has been completed on the inside, but questions linger about whether enough money can be raised to save the building.
All content copyright ©2014 The Tribune, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.