VATICAN CITY — The Vatican says its former ambassador to the Dominican Republic, who has been accused of sexually abusing young boys in the Caribbean country, has lost his diplomatic immunity and could be tried by Dominican courts.
The Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said late Monday that Josef Wesolowski had ended all diplomatic activity for the Holy See and lost his related immunity and therefore "might also be subjected to judicial procedures from the courts that could have specific jurisdiction over him."
The Vatican recalled Wesolowski last August after rumors emerged in the Dominican Republic that he had sexually molested young boys. Earlier this summer, a Vatican tribunal found him guilty under canon law and ordered him to return to the lay state. A Vatican criminal trial is pending.